Im an adult daughter whose mom is a covert narcissist who has been deathly ill for 3 years?

Obviously, I’ve gotten a lot of guilt and shame from my mom. I sacrificed years of my life to help keep her alive. She’s entirely bed ridden and in constant pain so my compassion rules me and she took advantage of it many times. I have the classic issues that daughters with narcissistic mothers have: major self... show more Obviously, I’ve gotten a lot of guilt and shame from my mom. I sacrificed years of my life to help keep her alive. She’s entirely bed ridden and in constant pain so my compassion rules me and she took advantage of it many times. I have the classic issues that daughters with narcissistic mothers have: major self esteem issues, codependent habits, and even some separation anxiety with my husband because of abandonment and security issues. My father doesn’t see it and is a total enabler. Blinded by love. I love my parents but don’t want to keep allowing myself to be emotionally abused. She’s convinced me that it’s my fault if she gives up fighting because of my lack of “involvement” but I am involved and I do help. I just insist on being my own person now and having healthy boundaries. My question is, psychologically, how do I handle myself to like who I am again and heal from the self esteem issues she’s caused? It’s just especially complicated since she’s so sick and I feel so bad for her. Thank you!
1 answer 1