Survey: Do you love or hate zoos and why?

• Brian
    Best Answer

People need to understand that zoo's are keeping many many animals alive. Does it suck that's how it needs to be? Yes it does. But humans suck. You want to blame anyone, blame those killing the animals not conservationists.

It's like regular animal shelters. You know why they exist? Because people over breed and now we are the evil ones because we don't have a "No-kill policy."

Sometimes things are necessary and until people stop killing these animals, zoo's are necessary. And yes, I know there are horrible zoo's in the world with deplorable conditions, these need to be closed down and better regulations need to be made.

I myself plan on being a zookeeper in the future, people who work at zoo's or with any animals are some of the most caring people you will ever meet. We genuinely care for these animals. Zoo's help educate the younger generations about respecting these animals and why eating tiger meat is not actually medicine and why their fur looks better on the tiger than it does you. You have to teach people to be respectful of these creatures and then maybe we won't need zoo's. Why can't you teach children without zoo's? Like I said, people are evil. Sadly, people react differently to REAL examples. "You see that elephant, people are killing them for their ivory tusks and what not and you see that rhino, not many are left in this world." it instills the need to protect these animals, you see the beauty of nature and you suddenly have the desire to teach more humans about it. Steve Irwin is my hero as he is for many many many people. It's people like him that will make this world better for animals. So stop pointing your fingers at us and saying we are the evil people, at least we are here doing something, even if it is only one generation at a time. We are not very many people, we can't do everything. I feel some of you would rather these animals just go extinct - because of humans mind you - than us trying to learn and care for these animals. Zoo's are not perfect solutions but they are a start where many many people start their efforts to help animals and become involved. Again, some zoo's really are deplorable like the one in Indonesia with the starving bears - that is cruel and those people are evil, no question about it but most of us in the first world who work with animals are not doing it for the money. You don't work with animals for money, you work with animals for passion and because you love them.

If you are upset about zoo's then go make a difference and you may very well have to start in a zoo setting before you fly out of this country to help those still in the wild.

• Sam

I agree, humans suck, except you and me.

• John P

My attitude, and possibly the attitude of many people, is roughly between those extremes. I find your question strange - many things in life are objects neither of love nor of hate. Life would become far too emotionally intense if we were to love or hate everything that comes to our knowledge.

Zoos can be great, when they are well designed and kept in accordance to the American Zoo Association standards. Sure, we wish we didn't need them, but the fact is, they are where many animals thrive and are kept as a species, and without them, some animals would absolutely be extinct.

There is a special bond between the animals and those people who dedicate their lives to caring for them. See the documentary The Keepers - it will show you how much they care about them,and what it takes to look after animals in captivity- they aren't pets, but they aren't just any animal, either.

Iloveto be able to take kids to the zoo, because otherwise, most kids wouldn't be able to see a lot of real animals, and it's a different experience. When my girls were little, we would go to the zoo and sit with the gorillas, and the girls would take their dolls. There was one female gorilla who just loved the dolls, and would sit and watch carefully until we left. It was wonderful.

I don't love zoos but I also don't hate them.

I guess they are alright.

Zoos are a place where humans make amends.-From the One and Only Ivan. i love the zoo in my city.They are ethical and they care. The animals we have wouldnt survive in the wild. We have these animals for their safety and for education. i beleive alot of zoos are bad.

• Joe

Zoos are extremely depressing. It's like walking through a hospital ward.

• Bill

Neither. I disagree with their existence on principle.

• edward

Hate. Too much walking

I have not been to a zoo in awhile, but past roommates and their guests made this apt feel like one.

Suffice to say I strongly disliked such an environment especially when having early morning classes.

• David

I don't love or hate them. I enjoy them but once you've been to one it's not like they change all that much. My sister works as a zookeeper, so it's pretty cool when I go with her. She lets me see all the behind the scenes stuff.

• Sam

As long as the animals are well cared for, I love them.