how long does it take to potty train your kids?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I had boys it was really quick they enjoyed aiming

• Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If they are truly ready? A few days to a week or so.

With our oldest we tried when he wasn't ready. It was a two week break (he was at nursery school at the time) and we had a week and a half of frustration, with nobody putting more pressure on our son than he was. So we backed way off.

Maybe 6 or more months later we tried again. A few days later he was trained, at the end of the week we sent him to nursery school in underwear, and a few months later we ditched the night nappies because he hadn't had a single accident.

With our second it was easier to recognize he wasn't ready... Not ready... Not ready... Ready, done, never looked back, just like that.

• LizB
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Anywhere from a few days to several months. Depends on if your kids are ready or not.

• 7 months ago

Couple of days. If you wait until they're ready, until their bladder is matured, there's no "training." They just feel the urge and go.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If the child is ready, the process shouldn't take more than a week or two at most, and usually less. (Though accidents will happen, and night dryness usually takes longer and isn't something you can teach.)

It used to be widely believed that you had to start very early and work at it for many months, so the child might be dry and fairly reliable by 2 1/2 or 3. But most parents now realize that the child is ready when he's ready, so if you START at 2 1/2 or 3 .. you'll get the same results. (With much less frustration.)

• 7 months ago

This question hit the dog section, under Pets.

I could help you potty train your puppy or your dog but potty training a child, I did one child almost 45 yrs ago. I do not remember how it went.

• 7 months ago

It varies; depending on method, and the individual child, as well as how much effort and attention you apply to the situation.

We all know of part-time or drugged out parents who do not do a good job of parenting and then there are those who are so DRIVEN they make the children uneasy or shy, if the child is pushed before it is READY into doing something it is not ready or mature enough to manage.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

My children, 2 boys, 1 girl, were all completely potty trained by age 2-1/2.

I know some children take longer and some are potty trained earlier.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Mine are already potty trained. But they are middle aged. Put them in the garden/yard with a potty and remove their nappies/diapers, on a sunny day of course. When they wee they will be surprised and you point to the empty pot and say next time sit on it. That will only take a day or two to teach them what to do. Lots of praise reinforces the lesson.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.