promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 11 months ago

Is it typical to not get any electives in certain majors?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That depends on the major. Yes, there are some degree programs and majors that are like that. They require many co requisite supporting courses. Geology, earth science, environmental science and engineering degree programs are like that. The University of Oklahoma requires all engineering students to take and pass technical writing, which is a junior level English class. Tulane's earth sciences/geology major required two semesters of general chemistry, general physics, highly recommended as much as 4 semesters of calculus, basic statistics, as well as physical geology, historical geology, mineralogy, petrology, structural geology, stratigraphy, paleontology and either micropaleontology OR sedimentology AND sedimentary petrology. I CHOSE NOT to take micropalaeontology, so I had to take 2 courses. Geology field camp was also a required class, BUT Tulane does NOT offer a geology field camp course. The Grand Canyon field course does NOT fulfill. That requirement. That means you have to

Source(s): had to take a geology field camp course offered by a different university. The University of Oklahoma's geology field camps, offered in BOTH summer terms, is usually open only to University of Oklahoma students. That doesn't leave much room for electives. Some majors and degree programs, like nursing, are highly impacted. When I was a history major at Tulane I took FOUR semesters of German as electives. I took MORE courses than was required to graduate, and I graduated with general honors and honors in history. I CHOSE to do a history honors thesis.
  • MS
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

That's not uncommon. Some degree programs have so many required courses that there isn't much room available for electives once you've completed your general education and major requirements.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

It is fairly common for students to not get into classes -- both electives and those required for their major -- because there simply aren't enough sessions of some classes to meet the demand. It is not normal for a student to not have room in their schedule for electives due to the class load of their major. Most bachelor's degree require 120 credits. Of those, maybe two thirds of those would be directly related to meeting general education and major requirements.

• 11 months ago

It's not really a matter of "major" field of study. A "major" is one's primary field of study, not one's sole field of study. However, certain programs are laid out fairly strictly and do not offer much (if any) opportunity to explore other fields of study. This is most common with vocational training, where studies focus exclusively on courses, studies, etc, necessary to those particular skills.

Welding is a good example - all studies are relevant to welding, understanding what makes it work, and practicing the actual skills involved. Similarly, nursing, medical school, other health-related occupations. Lots of sciences & math courses are essential background, but you aren't likely to have time to explore, say, drawing, or literature. Those programs are quite tightly focused - and need to be since they are so demanding & time-consuming as it is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Yes. There are some programs that have so many required courses, there's no room for electives. I think some engineering program are like that. It doesn't mean you can't take other courses- they just don't count toward graduation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.