How exactly does Martial arts build "confidence" or "character"?

My younger brothers always been a quiet type. He used to get bullied in school and picked on by little kids, he was also daddy's punchbag whenever he got drunk, until mum called the police for putting my brother in hospital. Anyway my younger brother he started doing martial arts and he's still been... show more My younger brothers always been a quiet type. He used to get bullied in school and picked on by little kids, he was also daddy's punchbag whenever he got drunk, until mum called the police for putting my brother in hospital.

Anyway my younger brother he started doing martial arts and he's still been training for a few years.

But he's still a dweeb. Sometimes on nights out In bars or on the street I pretend fight him and sit on him and easily overpower him. He's also really quiet when the other lads get drunk and loud and he's quiet as a mouse.

He lacks serious confidence and i bet money with the lads I went out that my bro won't be able to offer that hot girl a drink. We cajoled him like mad but he was too chicken.

He's a weed. What's more sometimes I've sat on the benches in his class and stared giving snake eyes to the rest of the students but they look away. Weak lame weeds. The kind you want to kick their head off and use it as a mop.

I never needed martial arts. You mess with me you mess with my mob!

What character have these students developed exactly?