Why do i sound so bad when trying to sing my heart will go on?

I really embarrassed myself at the school talent show when I tried to sing my heart will go on Someone in my class said just "belt it out" and you'll win for sure but I lost big time and got last place. I ran out of steam at the ends phrases in the first part which made the pitch go all wonky and... show more I really embarrassed myself at the school talent show when I tried to sing my heart will go on

Someone in my class said just "belt it out" and you'll win for sure but I lost big time and got last place.

I ran out of steam at the ends phrases in the first part which made the pitch go all wonky and really messed up the timing so I went out of time with the backing track.

The power phrases really sounded strained and someone said i was yelling on the belted parts and stuff like that?

What is wrong? A classmate told me that the whole warm up crap that opera singers do is an old wives tale and to sing radio music that it would be detimental?

What can I do to improve my singing?
1 answer 1