Max asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 7 months ago

sterilize an object by boiling water?

I if have a cup and I put in boiling water does that mean it is sterilized once I take out of the boiling water?

Favorite Answer

In most labs, this is a widely used method which is done in autoclaves.. Autoclaves use steam heated to 121–134 °C under pressure. This is a very effective method that kills/deactivates all microbes, bacterial spores and viruses.

This is not an instant process. For prion elimination, various recommendations state 121–132 °C (250–270 °F) for 60 minutes or 134 °C (273 °F) for at least 18 minutes.

• Athena

Not necessarily as some organisms can survive simple boiling.

for all practical purposes, yes, if you leave it in the boiling water for 10 minutes.

It will kill some bacteria. I'd recommend putting some antibacterial gel in as well.

• Mark

Not necessarily. Often times, one needs to raise the boiling point with a device like a pressure cooker or an autoclave to "sterilize" something.