Waking up gasping for air. Sleep apnea maybe?

I am a 22 year old woman and I am about 10 lbs overweight (working on that. Lost 5 lbs so far!). I recently had a friend tell me I snore in my sleep. I didn’t know I snored but I didn’t think much of it. Last night, I had a dream where I suddenly started losing air. Slowly, throughout the dream, I lost more and... show more I am a 22 year old woman and I am about 10 lbs overweight (working on that. Lost 5 lbs so far!). I recently had a friend tell me I snore in my sleep. I didn’t know I snored but I didn’t think much of it. Last night, I had a dream where I suddenly started losing air. Slowly, throughout the dream, I lost more and more air and couldn’t fill my lungs. I kept telling everyone around me I needed to get to a hospital but no one would listen and it kept getting worse until I developed a burning sensation in my chest. I woke up suddenly, my heart racing and gasping for air. I sat up and took some deep breaths and walked around a bit trying to make sure I was okay. Idk if this is just how normal people wake up from nightmares sometimes or if it could be much more serious. Or maybe even just heartburn? I’m not sure. I didn’t think people my age really got sleep apnea, but both my parents so snore and my dad had to get some weird surgery bc his nasal passage wasn’t shaped right and was making it harder for him to breath properly, so I’m wondering if maybe I have just inherited breathing problems? Any thoughts? I’m not really sure if it’s a big enough deal to go see a doctor or not.
3 answers 3