Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 2 years ago

Waking up gasping for air. Sleep apnea maybe?

I am a 22 year old woman and I am about 10 lbs overweight (working on that. Lost 5 lbs so far!). I recently had a friend tell me I snore in my sleep. I didn’t know I snored but I didn’t think much of it. Last night, I had a dream where I suddenly started losing air. Slowly, throughout the dream, I lost more and more air and couldn’t fill my lungs. I kept telling everyone around me I needed to get to a hospital but no one would listen and it kept getting worse until I developed a burning sensation in my chest. I woke up suddenly, my heart racing and gasping for air. I sat up and took some deep breaths and walked around a bit trying to make sure I was okay. Idk if this is just how normal people wake up from nightmares sometimes or if it could be much more serious. Or maybe even just heartburn? I’m not sure. I didn’t think people my age really got sleep apnea, but both my parents so snore and my dad had to get some weird surgery bc his nasal passage wasn’t shaped right and was making it harder for him to breath properly, so I’m wondering if maybe I have just inherited breathing problems? Any thoughts? I’m not really sure if it’s a big enough deal to go see a doctor or not.

Its very likely to be apnea, but it can also be caused by stopped up nose, dreaming, or a sleep disorder. Its difficult to sort out situations where the dream is caused by a breathing problem or the breathing problem is caused by the dream. If this just happens on rare occasions, its probably nothing to worry about. But if it happens regularly, it might be a good idea to see a doc and ask about spending a night in a sleep lab.

See a doctor.

Go see a doctor ASAP! This sounds very serious!