on the edge asked in HealthMental Health · 7 months ago

If you are brought to the ER after a suicide attempt can you refuse treatment are doctors going to listen to you if you say let me die.?

N

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

If you're brought to the ER after a suicide attempt, a doctor is going to sign you into a psychiatric ward. Because it's what they are supposed to do

• 7 months ago

No unless there is some rational explanation behind this request. Most places can force treatment if absolutely necessary

• 7 months ago

Depends on the state as always

• 7 months ago

I’m not a medical expert by any stretch of the word but I would think if you were in the right state of mind and you were over 18 you could just get up and walk out. However if you’re not mentally capable (suffering from some sort of illness) then they’d section you most likely so that they could make decisions for you. That’s just what I’ve heard/seen through documentaries etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

No.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

You can refuse treatment, but if they still want to treat you, they can. Because a suicide attempt shows you are possibly not competent. They will ignore any DNR in that case too.

• 7 months ago

You can’t refuse treatment if you’re underage. And if they believe you’re a harm to yourself or anyone else they most likely won’t let you go.

• 7 months ago

nope. legally you lose all rights to make medical decisions for yourself, you can not refuse treatment or the courts will get involved.

Hospital worker

• 7 months ago

If you are over 18 and in your right mind, yes, you have a total right to refuse any medical treatment.

If you're not 'mentally competent', the right can be taken away from you 'for our own good'. And if you're under 18 you need a parent or guardian to sign the papers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.