How do I stop new stains from coming out of the washer?

I moved into a house in September of 2018. It very quickly became evident that new stains were getting on my clothes IN the wash, which is very very noticeable on dark loads.

I tried a variety of detergents, premixing the detergent, adding a second rinse, etc. At wits end, when one spin issue then started, I ditched the machine and got a new. Did a dark load and the SAME issue.

After some online research, I got my water tested and it’s very hard with a lot of containment. The testing was done by a private company, so they were also trying to sell me a $9000 system.

I purchased Calgon water softener to add to each load, and thought it was helping the issue.

When the weather got cold the problem seemed to creep back. I avoided doing laundry here. It’s now in the 60’s here and I just did a dark load with Calgon and the staining worse than ever.

I am at absolute wits end. Does ANYONE have an experience like this they solved?

I am going to try calling the City Water Authority tomorrow, but this is from the same water supply as my last residence.

I asked a neighbor from one street over if they encountered anything like this and they have not

HELP

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I have the same hard water problem. My dark T's and turtlenecks get dark spots....it's the iron in the water. I use the Calgon, but IN THE RINSE WATER. Throwing it in with detergent won't solve the problem. I also fill the washer with vinegar and hot water and let it sit for a while every couple weeks (depending on how much wash I've done) to remove any soap/hardwater residue in the machine itself.

• 6 months ago

A plumber should check the pipes. They could be rusty - may need replacing. That's the only issue I can think of that it might be.

• 6 months ago

city water needs to investigate -- tell them about your neighbor's not having this problem. the water line from the main in the street to the house may be compromised.

note that if the problem is determined to be after the meter, it is for your landlord to fix, not the city water people. however, the city water people will frequently test the water to the meter for free

• Meridith6 months agoReport

Unfortunately I own the house so it will be on me to fix! I will call the city to test thank you.

• ICU2
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

If you have old galvanized pipes they will get massive corrosion inside...if that's the case you can only replace the pipes...maybe you have a bad pressure tank or hot water tank......I have hard water too and I use a whole house inline water filter along with water softener...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

You know what I think? It is your pipes. I think there are ways of cleaning supply pipes but replacement is one option. This is much more likely than from the city water. You might change your hookup hoses.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.