Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 months ago

I’m 20, female somewhere have height between 4’10 - 5’0ft, not sure what exactly, I’m 9stone something, I want to learn martial arts?

for self defence, confidence, strength, learn to fight. What kind of thing would be good for me?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Try mine out. Sanda, jiu jitsu, judo, jeet kune do. Mainly learned online. I pressure test my technique against my brother every once in a while. My techniques are crisp. Learn at your peril though. An MMA gym is best. Learn knife defense too. Funker tactical is a great online resource for self defense and knife defense look it up on YouTube. It took me 4 years to get good so don't be discouraged if you suck at first. I was good but wasn't able to beat black belts. I beat black belts 6 months into it. Brown belts 3 months into it. 6 Brown belts and one black belt as a yellow belt. I was strong though so strength played a critical role in my martial arts journey. Take what's essential, eliminate what sucks and add your own spin to it. Speed and technique equals power. Also, learn combos amd the 5 ways of attack. Feinting is my favorite one. Spar against dudes when you beat them know that you're good. Always go back to the basics they are the most important part.

Source(s): Don't learn aikido, taekwondo or any art that is bad.
  • DKG
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Forget 'self defence' it is mostly nonsense when taught in 'self defence classes'. The best self protection is still to be aware of your surroundings and to avoid/run if possible.

Learning a martial art for confidence, for strength, fitness, better 'ownership' of your body. All excellent reasons though, so do it anyway, but don't think that self defence is something you will learn in any useful way.

I am a reasonably good 'club fencer' - and can hold my own in Sparring in friendly contexts - but I would be totally overwhelmed by a 'good fighter' who has real world or tournament experience of 'violence'. Real world violence is also a totally different tone. I can fence and get bruises and it is all fun and games, at worst a few days of soreness... but I have also been assaulted in the real world, both by strangers and my ex-wife... no meaningful injuries from any of those, but a *much* worse psychological and physiological response.

Do a sport that looks interesting and fun. My personal tastes led me to HEMA and swords*, but you might find something else more interesting to you. *And unarmed ringen/grappling with a martial origin - both armed and empty handed.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

It's not like ladylike to fight. Get yourself a husband who will look after you my dear.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Good for you, get after it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Go for it. What have you got to lose?

• 7 months ago

Honestly, a Glock 36

Martial arts are good for giving you confidence in your ability to defend yourself but are next to useless in real life situations where attacks don't happen in slow motion in a controlled environment. Prevention is your best outcome, but by all means learn basic escapes for if someone does grab you - enrol for women's self defence classes - but nothing says back-off scumbag like 9mm jacketed hollow point.

• 7 months agoReport

I do try avoiding putting myself in situations I could get attacked but they happen all the time so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.