Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

What meaty raw bones would be beneficial for a Beagles teeth?

I know some bones can crack teeth while others can actually help keep them healthy and clean. I just got a 4 month old Beagle pup a week ago and want to get her onto it.

My mum gives her lil Chihuahua a whole chicken leg quarter as a dinner meal once a week instead of dog food which seems to be working great. I just wonder if the chicken would be too easy and not much effective on a Beagle when matured.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

As long are the bones are raw and not cooked its fine. I would use a larger bone then the smaller chicken bones. And I would supervise the dog with the bone. Let him chew on it for maybe 10-15 mins and then put it away for awhile. You can keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn't go bad.

• 7 months ago

Don't give dogs chicken bones, unless you don't care for your dog. Have you ever broken a chicken bone hit it with a hammer and see how it breaks. It breaks into sharp pointy pieces. A dog can eat a piece and could get stuck in his stomach or when he has to go pop it can get stuck in his tail pipe.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

That is cooked bones - raw bones are safe.

• 7 months ago

I give my wolves uncooked soup bones. Uncooked because if they are cooked they will splinter.

• 7 months ago

beef shinbones

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

My dogs have always enjoyed Dried Cows and Pigs ears with the meaty bit left on the end.

Raw Knuckle bones are great for dogs and pops to chew on and do not splinter or cause teeth to break.

Of course every dog owner has their preferences and idea of what is best for dogs, and you have to ultimately make up your own mind by drawing on any experiences you have learnt from.

Raw poultry leg bones are very soft and ok for dogs.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • 7 months ago

The only bones I give my dogs and that only rarely are the clean white pieces of bones I get at the pet store.

Because my dogs sleep with me I don’t give them meaty bones or the smoked type bones from the feed store because they get that greasy yuck all over their faces and paws and I don’t want it on me or in our bed. If i want to “jazz it up” I’ll smear a small amount of peanut butter or cream cheese on the inside.

I once gave my 40 lb teen dog a smoked pork bone from the pet store to keep her busy and was horrified to see she had chewed it up and swallowed the whole thing in less than an hour.

Bone splinters are REALLY bad for dogs, can pierce their intestines and kill the dog, even with veterinary intervention. Cooked poultry bones should NEVER be given to dogs, ever.

• Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

COOKED bones splinter. The ones from pet stores are always cooked or dried and are dangerous. RAW bones do not splinter and are safe for dogs

• 7 months ago

Beef or bison shin bones, raw, which have been cut crosswise into pieces a few inches long. Yes, some very large dogs could manage to break off parts of those. I don't think a beagle will. If it seems like parts of the bone are being broken off, take the bone away. I've been giving them to my Labrador-sized dogs for over 30 years with no problem. They are sold in most supermarkets, in the frozen section, as soup bones, and some pet food stores have them

• 7 months ago

The only raw bones you can't give dogs are heavy weight bearing bones like femurs from cattle. The bones are too hard and can break their teeth. You also never want to give machine cut bones like pork chops because they have VERY sharp edges. You also NEVER EVER EVER!!!! want to feed ANY cooked or smoked bones of ANY kind.

My Newfoundland is fed the Prey Model Raw Diet and the mainstay of his diet is half a chicken leg quarter each meal. Then with that he gets beef of chicken liver and then things like beef heart, turkey necks, chicken feet, duck feet, duck wings. I alternate things to keep it interesting.

NOT a good idea, though, to give a dog just a chicken leg quarter instead of its kibble. Mixing raw and kibble can upset their digest. Dogs also NEED organ meats in their diet which is why the Prey Model Raw diet is 80% meat with bone, 10% organ meats, 10% bone. When you feed kibble the nutrients from organ meats are added.

A whole chicken leg quarter is also WAY too much food for a tiny Chihuahua. My 140 pound Newfoundland eats HALF of one twice a day!!!!!

If you want to stay on kibble but give a raw snack chicken or duck feet, turkey necks or chicken wings are perfect for a smaller dog like a Beagle or Chihuahua. You can also find some smaller beef marrow bones that they could chew on. And again ONLY raw. Mine really loves the marrow bones right from the freezer.

FYI - my Newf's been on raw now for 5 years and not ONCE have I had to brush his teeth. My vet always raves about how perfectly white his teeth are. Dogs were MADE to chew bones just like wolves were.

• TK
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Don't give large turkey bones. Don't give neck bones because some thyroid tissue could be on them and the added thyroid is not good for dogs.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Beef bones are the best.Pork bones will splinter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.