Can i travel outside USA being an underage permanent resident?

I m an underage permanent resident in the USA with a green card and i m from south america. I live in Puerto Rico and i m supposed to live 5 years in the US so i can be fully considered as a citizen. My mother and i were planning on visiting our country for some weeks in July but now she won t be abe to travel due to personal issues and i am wondering if i can travel alone with her permission, wich she is willing to give since i got family there that can recieve me but she thinks that i can t travel alone outside US since i m underage and also a permanent resident, i wanted to know if the assumption my mother made is true and if i can travel alone for less than a month to my country

6 Answers

  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer


    of course.

    The requirement is that you permanently RESIDE in the United States. Even if you vacation somewhere abroad, you are still residing in the United States. An American astronaut who spends 3 months aboard a space station still resides in the United States.

    Only once you have been gone for 6 months, or you have been leaving the United States frequently, will CBP upon your arrival ask you to prove that you have not abandoned your US residency. This rule is basically in place, to avoid people who have Green Cards to live outside the US and then just "visit" the US once in a while to pretend they are residing in the US.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    You can travel as an unaccompanied minor as long as there's an adult waiting for you on arrival at the airport in your home country. This is something your mom needs to arrange with the airline in question.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    i would talk to irnrnigration about it, they would know

  • 1 year ago

    You will be travelling on the passport which you currently hold, and not an American one. Therefore you will be required to have those visas applicable to citizens of your original country.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    It depends on the destination country.

    Some will require that you be accompanied by an adult, some that an adult will meet you, and some just a notarized letter from your parents saying you have permission.

    You will have no trouble re-entering the US if you have your green card with you.

  • 1 year ago

    A trip of less than a month will not affect your US PR status:

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.