Up until what time (how late) is it okay to use a lawn mower in a residential area?

I need to cut my grass and can usually do it around 7-9pm.

I'm just wondering, how late is too late to be using a lawn mower In a residential area? I don't want the neighbors mad at me for making noise.

What do you think? Is 9pm the time to stop?

Update:

City by-laws say no noise after 11pm. So I won't go by that. Lol. But just wondering what everyone else thinks. How late is too late?

Update 2:

Thanks everyone. I guess during daylight hours is a good gage to go by. My lawnmower does have lights but I don't need to use it at night.

Also, thanks for mentioning that kids got to bed early. My lawnmower is battery powered, so it's not THAT noisy.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Daylight should be the deciding factor. As long as you can see what you are doing, the neighbors should be happy that you cut your grass...not like my neighbors.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Too late is 7-9. Later than that, a grievous affront &n cause for cop-calling.

• JASON
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Consider your neighbours, do they have small children who go to bed early? Are there workers who work night shifts? Observe and ask others. See when most other people do it.

• John P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Depends on local habits and possibly bye-laws. Where I live in a reasonable suburban area in southern Britain, I would say that 9pm is far too late. I would hope not to hear a power mower after about 7pm. Preferably not after 6pm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The local bylaw is the absolute limit but I try to finish anything noisy by 8pm at the latest as I expect most people want to enjoy a quiet evening and young children are still put to bed by around then.

• 7 months ago

maybe find out when your neighbors with kids put them to sleep---or at least estimate how old they are and ask someone with kids when they are likely to go to bed---

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

its not quiet hrs yet so i dont see why you cant do that

• D J
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

As long as you have enough light, mow away unless it is against local ordinances.

• 7 months ago

Do you live in an area where there is a HOA? If not then anytime is the right time to stop, it's your yard, your mower, your decision. However, I would think when the sun goes down is a decent time to stop. Some riding mowers do have lights though, so feel free to keep cuttin'.

• Kelley
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

You must check your city noise laws. To have peace with your neighbors, do not mow your lawn while they are sleeping, about to sleep or when they just got up from sleep.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.