I'm torn, should I get back with my husband after a 9 month split?

Married for 16 years. Lots of alcohol, anger issues, and mental abuse and manipulation on top of never really being a supportive husband, dad, or financial contributor. The last 4 years were better with some of those things with him gaining better and longer employment but we ended up having a second child 3 years... show more Married for 16 years. Lots of alcohol, anger issues, and mental abuse and manipulation on top of never really being a supportive husband, dad, or financial contributor. The last 4 years were better with some of those things with him gaining better and longer employment but we ended up having a second child 3 years ago and his issues were not completely stopped so I left to avoid a terrible falling out and for my kids to stop seeing the worst in him. He tells me he's been sober all this time after 5 months at a sober house, and that he regularly sees a psychologist. On top of constantly reminding me that he lives in his car because he can't afford an apartment right now. Does this sound to you like manipulation all over again? Do spouses really ever make a change after a split?