Would you help out random strangers? People who you don't owe anything to but wouldn't mind helping if they appreciate it.?

I was sitting in my car at the park when this random lady knocked on my window to ask if she could use my phone. I lied that I don't have one, but then she pointed to my purse and said, "Your phone's right in there." I didn't know what to say, so I said, "Sorry but I can't let you use... show more I was sitting in my car at the park when this random lady knocked on my window to ask if she could use my phone. I lied that I don't have one, but then she pointed to my purse and said, "Your phone's right in there." I didn't know what to say, so I said, "Sorry but I can't let you use it. Go across the street to the bar to use theirs." Then she got mad and called me a f*cken *****. I didn't appreciate that, but oh well. I took off. I wasn't trying to be mean, but how do I know she's not gonna run off with my phone? I've heard stories about how people would pretend to need help when they really didn't. Not everyone has good intentions. In a way I felt bad because what if she really just wanted to use my phone to call her boyfriend to pick her up. That's what she said. I have no way of knowing that. I believe the reason why I reacted that way is because of fear. I don't like entitled people. I also once had this lady ask for spare change. I said I didn't have any. Then she got mad and said, "Not even $1?" I said no, then she went grrrrrrrrr and took off. I understand we all need help sometimes, but I wish these people understood that other people don't owe them anything. I have given spare change to random strangers before, but not all the time. I don't feel as bad if they have bad attitude. I don't mind helping out those who truly appreciate it.
Update: Oh and she had the nerve to say she's not old enough to go inside the bar because she's only 17. Lie. She looks older than me.