Is this true?? History pleaseeee help?

I've always been told that Christopher Columbus thought he had arrived in India when he had really arrived in the US. Naturally, he called the Native people there, Indians. Obviously nowadays, we know that he did not arrive in India, and that Native Americans have nothing to do with Indians. But my history... show more I've always been told that Christopher Columbus thought he had arrived in India when he had really arrived in the US. Naturally, he called the Native people there, Indians. Obviously nowadays, we know that he did not arrive in India, and that Native Americans have nothing to do with Indians.

But my history teacher told me today (without any sources to back it up) that India was known as "Hindustan" to foreigners back in 1492, and that the people inside Hindustan there called their country Barat.

They went on to say that Christopher Columbus called the Native Americans "a people in God", which in Italian translates to "un popolo in Dio". The last two words put together is "Indios" and is pronounced like such. As a catchphrase he called them "Indios" which in English translates to "Indians", and that's really why Natives are called Indians.

Is this true, and is there any evidence to back this up? Because I'd much rather believe that the European colonizers weren't dumb enough to keep calling them Indians for no reason, because that just creates confusion and has for the past couple centuries.