Can you really be held for 72 hours in a psych ward?

against your will? Just because you do something eccentric? Like trying to eat your front lawn?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you're deemed a danger to yourself or others, yes you can be put on a psych hold.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

In my State, yes, a Judge can order a person held in a psych ward for 72 hours for evaluation. If there is an issue, they can be committed for a varying length of time.

• 7 months ago

Yes but by order of a judge, and judges don't make such orders unless the person presents themselves as a danger to themselves or others. Thus no psych ward for having a front yard picnic, there would have to be something else going on at the same time.

• 7 months ago

Do that and you will be held in the bathroom for 72 hours.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

i think its possible

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes. It's called a Baker Act, but requires something more serious than eating your lawn. A doctor can Baker Act you if he has reason to believe you are a threat to yourself or others due to a mental disorder.

• linkus86
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Doctor's don't dispense with the law, but they do advise judge's that do.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I don't know but I got held for 6 hours in the psych ward at UCLA hospital once after I told an orthopedic surgeon I was going to kill myself if I didn't get better and he called the cops on me. The twits wouldn't let me out until I signed up for a suicide hotline, which I promptly cancelled as soon as I got home.

And the idiot doctor never did notice that both pectoral heads were completely torn, even after I came back to see him 2 more times.

• 7 months ago

That is unfortunately how it is where I live. If it is suspected that they have a good enough reason to commit you then yeah they can. I say unfortunate because most of the time they put nearly EVERYONE on the same sh*t to "help" them which is really to make them easier to control and manage. Very often, the drugs don't agree with many people and send them into a full-blown psychotic episode.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • LilyRT
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

I think it's if they believe you're a danger to yourself or others. just eating grass probably isn't going to do it. but, saying that the CIA is out to get you and the lawn gnomes are your only friends and that you need to take the spies out before they take you out might get it done.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

yes, and if you ask me, they should make it longer, perhaps even permanent and in some cases they should have the right to put certain individuals down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.