when did they switch from analog to digital thermometers to measure global temperatures?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JimZ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

One of the advantages of digital is that they can be programed to record temperatures all day and night, 24/7/365. It is a bit tricky to amass "global" temperatures from the past with limited data and using different methods to the more recent data from lots of stations IMO. As Mark suggested, digital thermometers were first patented in the 1970s but there are lots of ways to take a temperature. For example, satellites can take radiometric measurements for temperatures. They don't measure temperature directly. They measure radiances in various wavelength bands according to what I have read. I don't really know how digital thermometers work but the distinction between analogue and digital may be a bit more vague than something more familiar (at least to me) such as in music.

• Daro
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

NASA admitted (on their website) that no thermometers were in use until AFTER the beginning of the current warming cycle (the shift out of the little ice age over 100 years ago). So what exactly is their basis for "unprecedented warming" (that means, never been this hot .....ever.)

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

It's hard to read those analog scales from space.

• sam
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

global temps are an average. read up on statistics, mean errors

• Dirac
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

The other answer from "Dirac" is from the impostor Dirac account of The Yahoo Joker. You can tell because if you click on the name you'll see the Q&A is hidden, while the real Dirac (me) always makes his Q&A visible. It's possible that The Yahoo Joker could switch the Q&A to be visible on the impostor account, but then it should still be clear by looking at the Q&A.

In answer to the question, it depends on the station. Different stations use different equipment and make changes at different times. You would need to look at the station metadata.

• Dirac
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

You can’t tell one graph from another, The Yahoo Joker (Hobo)? That’s probably why you’re so bad at science.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Probably some time in the 1970s. I distinctly remember seeing them then, though at most people's houses they STILL are mostly analog.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.