I was offered to live in an awesome big house in CA by an amazing elderly couple, but now it seems unfortunate?

Trying to make story short, I currently live in UK and had always hoped to move to the USA. That was about to become a reality not long ago as I got into contact with an elderly couple that currently reside in Mountain View, California, USA. They were happy to let me have their house FOR FREE, they live in a... show more Trying to make story short, I currently live in UK and had always hoped to move to the USA. That was about to become a reality not long ago as I got into contact with an elderly couple that currently reside in Mountain View, California, USA. They were happy to let me have their house FOR FREE, they live in a massive beautiful house which has been renovated recently and looks brand spanking new. Why? It turns out that I saved their sons life many years ago. At the time we didn't know each other but recently the son managed to find me and get into contact with me, I expressed that I wanted to move to the united states one day and that's how he got me into contact with his parents.

His parents are like one of the most humble and down to earth human beings I have ever encountered as they have allowed me to have their house because they want to move to a new area. It was my dream to move to California, I even had a job/career lined up at the Google headquarters in Mountain view. These talks were in the process for around 6 months and were being finalized, however recently the family made me aware that now the local governing agencies and enforcement have prohibited them from allowing me to have the house for free, even under their will. The family are just as confused as I am, I'm not too sure how the law works there but is this true? Can they really do this? All this has caused me a lot of anxiety as all hopes have been crushed. Even the family says it makes no sense for them.