Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 7 months ago

Did I sprain my foot?

I was In gym yesterday and I was running and tripped and my foot went sideways and that’s how I landed. It hurt so bad the rest of the day and I was limping. I went to doctor and they said my foot was swollen and they took an x ray and it was normal. But they gave me a boot, and now I’m in it for 2 weeks with no gym. Do I have sprain or not?

• Edna

You've sprained your foot. Your foot will probably begin turning a lovely shade of purplish-green in the next couple of days.

I think what the doctor was saying when he said your foot "looked normal" after he x-rayed it, was that your foot wasn't broken - it was only sprained. A sprain wouldn't show on an X ray; a fracture would.

Wear the boot during the day, every day, in order to keep your full weight off your foot when you walk. Wear it all day, every day, for as many days as it takes for your foot to stop hurting and for the swelling to go away.

You can remove the boot when you go to bed, but put it back on the next morning.

Yes . it means "no gym activities" - not for as long as you have to wear the boot on your foot.

If the x ray is normal you have a sprain. A sprain is a stretched or torn ligament (the tissue that connects bone at a joint). Sprains are very common in wrists and ankles, but can also occur in feet, elbows, hands, and any ligament at a joint.

Usually caused by a fall, twist or a blow to the body, sprains can be mild, moderate or severe. A mild sprain stretches the ligament but leaves the joint stable. A moderate sprain is a partially torn ligament that destabilizes the joint. In a severe sprain, ligaments tear completely or separate from the bone. Repeated sprains can lead to arthritis, loose joints and tendon damage.

Effective treatment for sprains include rest, ice, compression, elevation, medications, and physical therapy. If these measures do not relieve symptoms, your physician or specialist may recommend surgery to help repair the damage.

Strain symptoms include:

Pain

Bruising

Limited movement

Muscle spasm

Muscle weakness

Swelling/inflammation

Cramping

Good luck

You'll know in two days.

• Sparky

Sprains won't show up on x-ray. Only breaks.

You have a bad sprain.

could be tissue damage, I had tissue damage on my foot by doing exactly that, so it could be that

If the dr. said it was a sprain, it's likely sprained. The boot will imobilize it and hopefully allow it to heal.

Keep in mind that sometimes a sprain will take longer to heal than a fracture. Just sayin'.