Loc asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 7 months ago

Is Acting actually harder than many people think?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Naw

• John P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

As a way of life, in order to keep the wolf from the door and the rent paid, it is hard for all except a few dozen very well-known actors.

As a hobby, many people enjoy acting in drama societies ("community theatre" in the USA) and many of them are good actors, a few are outstanding. I have done a bit myself, and think that quite a lot of people have enjoyed my performances alongside those of my fellow actors. (I include, of course, female actors.)

• 7 months ago

You either have it or you don't. It's like this:

Here is the scene. It's your scene. The audience will be here in five minutes. You better figure out what you are going to do. That's acting.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

How hard do you think it is? It absolutely requires skill. It's not harder than like, brain surgery. It's harder than being a CEO.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • KJC
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Are there people that think acting is easy? I don't. I think it's very difficult. To stand before a green screen and fake your emotions and everything that is happening to you? That's amazing to me.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes it is, understanding the context if the script and building up the character/portraying what the writer and director imagined is hard.

It is mentally hard as well as physically.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Definitely.

Millions of kids think they can do it brilliantly - and only a tiny number of them really can.

It takes huge talent, dedication determination, many years of high-quality training, more years of experience, other skills like singing, dancing, learning other languages and skills, a great memory, the ability to adapt very quickly, strength of body and mind, loads of money and having the energy to work an ordinary job alongside it, probably for your entire life.

• 7 months ago

Anything done well is not easy.

• 7 months ago

Much harder.

People mistakenly think acting is pretending or lying, it’s not. Acting is storytelling and it’s hard to be a good story-teller. It’s a craft that involves being able to: audition, analyze a script, build a character, memorize lines and blocking, work with a cast and crew, take direction as well as perform in a variety of mediums (stage, screen, web productions, voice over, etc). “Acting” is not just one thing - it’s many things combined. Some people are good at some parts and not good at others.

Professional acting is even harder! It’s show BUSINESS, not a lottery. There aren’t a bunch of open auditions anyone can go to. Actors have to be invited to professional auditions, usually through an agent. But an agent doesn’t run an actor’s career-the actor does. Professional actors need to understand contracts, unions, taxes, marketing, networking and the like. They’re basically starting and running a business where they’re the product being marketed and sold.

It’s hard

• 7 months ago

Yes it is harder than most people think. It isn't just "good pretending" as snafu says.

One must have talent, intelligence, empathy and drive to even start a career in acting.

Luck, education, practice and dedication to continue to go through 100 auditions to get a role. There is script and character analysis work to be done, hours spent learning lines, and rehearsing before performance.

Every acting job is temporary. Most actors continue to work day jobs for years while acting.

Not an easy life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.