When is sanding a wood floor necessary?

• Toruko

For my boat that's to ease my bare foot at-sea, sealing wood using boiled linseed oil,

and taking out a minor scratch or gunk blot. I recommend it to appreciate the grain.

There is sanding and then there is sanding. Extensive sanding with rough grit to correct a bad floor will take a toll of its depth. However, I is always okay to fine sand the finish (or as necessary). If you would refinish your floor without a lick of sandpaper then IMHO you are not getting your best results.

no it depends

Sanding a wood floor is done for aesthetic purposes, so I suppose you could argue that it's never 'necessary'.

You sand the floor to give it a smooth finish, or to restain it, or to make it match patches in the floor, or new flooring laid alongside it.

• gerald

its not it shouldn't be done unless its badly damaged the patina is part of the character its a natural material not a fibre glass boat

clean it

level it

prepare it for a treatment

make it an even colour

ouch I've got a splinter in my foot - oh it hasn't been sanded