Is it possible to combine 2 residential electric meters into one?

I have 2 residential lots that I had combined through the county in SW MI. Front is the home, service comes from the utility pole. Back is garage, service originates at the same pole, but runs underground to the box. I'd like to eliminate the garage meter, they charge 35$ a month in fees alone. Is this possible?

You can't combine the meters, but you CAN have the garage meter ELIMINATED and the panel feed from the panel in the house.

Only with a common main, the problem would be determining which residence consumed the most power out of the total.

In your case, yes. No doubt at one time the garage or second meter was billed as a second residence.

• GTB

In principle, yes but this can be dependent on the type of meters you have in the first place; we need more data

Sure, call an electrician to run the wiring and then call the utility to remove he meter.

• billrussell42

So have the electrician check capacity of each line and compare it to your total needs, now and in the future. You may have to upgrade the remaining line, which can get expensive.

Yes. In fact in my part of the world you aren't allowed two supplies. You would give up one and run everything off the other.

• STEVEN F

I GUARANTEE separate supplies IS legal wherever you are. I DEFY you to cite a law that says otherwise.