John asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 months ago

Caught between military or law enforcement?

I’m 22 turning 23 years old next month, and I’m currently stuck between choosing law enforcement or a career in the usmc as an officer. I’m currently employed as a state trooper and like what I do but I regret not doing military and always wish I would’ve. I don’t want it to be something I regret for the rest of my life. I’m less than a year away from a bachelors degree and have been looking into the usmc officer program a lot. If I were to ditch law enforcement and go military as an officer full time would I be making a bad decision in your expirence with the military?

• Toruko

You can do both in the US National Guard.

And don't tell us that they do not get sent

to fight overseas. What you need is more

responsibility.. Both jobs go there.

Yes ... bad decision to ditch your current job for active duty.

Research harder to find the right “fit” for you in the Reserves.

Don’t limit your options to officer or Marines ... other services or enlisted Reserve opportunities may offer unique or specialized roles worth pursuing to balance your combined public safety and military service.

• ?

Even though you said that you didn't like the MOS's in the Marine Reserves, that's your best option once you get your degree. There is NO 100% path for you to be a USMC officer, either active or Reserve.

• Mrsjvb

You need the degree in hand before you can apply for OCS. It is also the last place the Marines get their officers from. Which means you have only a very small chance of being selected. Furthermore, you don’t necessarily get a choice as to what you do

There is no guarantee you will be able to become an Officer in the Marines. You must meet all the qualifications in degree and GPA plus not from the Academy or NROTC program means a harder time getting in. Have you looked into the Reserves if there is a unit by you instead?

• ?

What kind of MOS do you think you are going to get?

• WB

After you finish your degree, you could enlist for one hitch in the military. If you like it, stay with it. If it's not for you, get back on the police force. If nothing else, you will gain some extra training. If you choose the military, you can retire at 44, and then work at a police department until 65 (while drawing military retirement and having PX and commissary privileges).

• Bernd

A law enforcement officer serves the country just as much as someone in the military. Maybe more as you are a first responder.