The predicament and the promise ring?

I’ve been with my partner for about 7-8 months , she’s been married twice and they where both horrible and abusive men so she says she has no more interest in marriage , I also am dead against marriage , reason being i’m Very anti religion and I don’t believe a contract has anything to do with love . Yes i’m as... show more I’ve been with my partner for about 7-8 months , she’s been married twice and they where both horrible and abusive men so she says she has no more interest in marriage , I also am dead against marriage , reason being i’m Very anti religion and I don’t believe a contract has anything to do with love . Yes i’m as romantic as a JCB but we love each other.
Her birthday is coming up and she’s hinted that she wants something but won’t tell me what it is and she said that if I wasn’t to get her this item then it wouldn’t show her how well I knew her and how little I cared.
Obviously i’m now panicking and wracking my brains as to what the hell it could be .
I ended up having to aske her daughter who i’m Very close with if she had any idea what it was .
She said that she wanted a promise ring.
This has never been mentioned at all or discussed even once and now she secretly wants one and judging how I feel based on weather or not I buy her one .
I’m thinking of telling her that I worked it out after quizzing her daughter and asking her why this has suddenly become a factor.

What does buying a promise ring entail ?
Do I have to wear one ?
Do I buy them both ?
What kind of commitment comes with it ?
What am I promising?
Is it a prerequisite to an engagement ring ?

HELP !!!!!