Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 7 months ago

Is it possible to prevent wisdom teeth extraction? and is it necessary to have them removed?

I have all 4 wisdom teeth in my mouth still and there are no issues so far but my dentist recommend to take an x-ray of my wisdom teeth then next time I see her so I was wondering can I prevent wisdom teeth from being extracted? I have good oral hygiene. I always brush and floss my teeth every day so by brushing and flossing every day can I prevent wisdom teeth extraction? Also, do I have to remove them? My mom had two of her wisdom teeth extracted a while ago and the other two remained in her mouth and to this day she doesn't have any issues with her wisdom teeth. So can that to me? My wisdom teeth remain in my mouth with no issues at all?

Why has your dentist recommended taking them out? Are they impacted? Is there not enough room? Are the damaging your jaw?

• Sparky

Not everybody needs their wisdom teeth removed.

Just because a dentist wants to xray your wisdom teeth, it doesn't mean she's going to rip them out of your head. The xrays are designed to look at the roots to see if your roots are healthy and that there is no decay etc.