Tippy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 months ago

Who thinks it's rude for a security guard or doorman to say "Nooooo! we're about to close" when you come in not knowing they're closing soon?

This happened to me last weekend when I was bar hopping in the downtown part of where I live.

If a person shows up at a bar or nightclub with their ID in their hand ready to be checked while not knowing the place is closing soon and the doorman/security guard responds by saying "Nooooo! we're getting ready to close" not in an angry tone but in a semi dramatic tone, it seems like they're being accusatory and making their guest feel like they're doing something wrong or problematic. I feel they should just simply inform people that they're closing soon for example like "sorry, we close at (whatever time)" instead of being a little overly dramatic making people feel like they're committing a delinquent act when they just weren't aware of the fact that they're closing. Thoughts?

they may have said it in a purposely overdramatic sarcastic tone? They are also doing their job, and at a nightclub is there really a need for formality?

• GEEGEE

not me, sounds fine

depends on how they said it

• Tippy7 months agoReport

I clearly stated how it was said

Seems like more a casual approach rather than being authoritarian in manner. Ultimately, how somehow conducts themselves is choice and for all the security personnel that behave in a way you witnessed, there would equally be as many who are cordial and friendly, without perceived drama.

Not me. That sounds fine for some club or bar. Like a Simpsons joke about newspaper printing "Start the presses!" "That takes 8 hours!!!" Kitchens and bars can take 5 hours to close and open depending on what they have to clean and set up. If you were to be accommodated, the perfect $12 burger you had would be $30 tomorrow to make up for the 117 man hours of overtime you cost the place in one night.

Maybe if you're the Queen buying diamonds someone would have used a better tone but you are some schmuck looking to have an awkward date with your girlfriend who is already cheating on you. Anything short of "f--k off" is considered professional in my opinion.

• Cara

Perhaps a bit casual, but not rude.

He's probably already told twenty people quietly and politely that they're closing soon, and is sick of being asked, 'What, now? Can't I go in anyway?'

So he just snapped (VERY slightly) when someone ELSE turned up at closing time.

• keerok

Give him some slack. The guy's tired. Don't be the drama queen you hate to be. Just go to another bar.

Rude? They are just doing their job. Next time, get there when they are open.

• susan

I mean... sure, you are right, the guard could have said it without being dramatic. But everywhere we go, we are dealing with human beings, not robots. You have no idea what kind of crazy night that guard had already had, and then you showing up at closing time was just one more thing, and he needed to just make you go away, and in that moment he really didn't care how he said it.

If this were a perfect world where nobody overreacted to anything, then you would have shrugged his comment off and not been embarrassed or offended by it either. I suggest you just put it out of your mind. He didn't harm you.