Property Damage Insurance Flood Question?

I had a rust water flood from the ceiling of my closet and not only so I had to submit a claim for $240K of stuff ranging from designer clothing and expensive furniture that I was purchased from private party and everything was fairly recent. Some stuff are mine some aren't (family members living together),... show more I had a rust water flood from the ceiling of my closet and not only so I had to submit a claim for $240K of stuff ranging from designer clothing and expensive furniture that I was purchased from private party and everything was fairly recent. Some stuff are mine some aren't (family members living together), my limit is around $128K for property damage so I know I won't be compensated for everything and it is a Replacement cost insurance. The problem now is that the insurance is asking for receipts and I don't have any kept, I don't even have a credit card besides debit card, and my family members don't have receipts either and have bad credit. I don't understand how anyone can keep receipts for everything they buy. Is having receipts obligation? What can we do when there are no receipts? We buy our stuff with cash and I don't feel like showing them my debit card statement.
7 answers 7