How can I get out of my car lease?

I went to a buy here pay here place 2 years ago and got a car. I pay $400 a month and I’ve had problems ever since I bought it. I took it to a mechanic and he told me it wasn’t even worth putting the money into to fix it. What are my options? I need a reliable car

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

they WROTE the paperwork YOU signed, so you can bet there's no way out .............

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A Buy Here / Pay Here location sale is likely a financed vehicle, not a lease.

Your options? Speak to the BHPH location or borrow the rest of the money owed, pay out the loan, and chalk this up to what it really is...a very expensive learning lesson.

• 7 months ago

not much, give back the car and risk getting sued

• 7 months ago

You will have to pay the car off through the end of your lease. Either at once, to qualify for a loan to buy another car, or continue with your monthly payments. You can turn the car back in but, you are still under obligation to pay off your lease.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

You don't have a lease. You *bought* a car from a scumbag buy-here-pay-here used car dealer and he financed you himself, at a super-high interest rate. If you've been paying for 2 years you have paid for the car several times over. Simply return the car to the dealer and he'll put it right back on his lot to sell to the next sucker to come along. He's made his money so he'll make no fuss (maybe a little, but you can ignore it). However, don't expect to get any money back. You'll simply have to start from scratch -- and stay away from buy-here-pay-here dealers.

• bo
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

read your contract

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

I went to a buy here pay here place 2 years ago and got a car.

BAD DECISION

I pay $400 a month

PAID TOO MUCH

I’ve had problems ever since I bought it.

FAILED TO DO A PROPER PRE-BUY EVALUATION.

I took it to a mechanic and he told me it wasn’t even worth putting the money into to fix it.

HE'S PROBABLY RIGHT.

What are my options? I need a reliable car

YOUR OPTIONS are to pay off the loan and get a new car. If you can't sell it for what you owe on it, and you cannot afford to get another car and keep paying the loan ion it, then you're SOL and will just have to pay to fix it even though the car isn't worth it.

NEXT TIME you buy a used car, do a proper pre-buy inspection. Since you probably lack that skill, hire someone to do it for you.

EPIC FAIL. Lesson learned?

• 7 months ago

How long is the lease for?

What is the value of the car?

What does your lease contract say?

Do you have insurance on the car?

Do you have a spare pint of gas?

• Never
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You cant legally. But, many BHPH places will not take legal action even though they could.

No way to predict that really.

The fact that you paid $400 a month for 24 months probably means they made 2-3 times what they paid for it so they might just not bother suing you. That's your best case scenario. Other options are to tell them but they will just want to put you in another car so they can keep the payments coming.

Places that sell their deals to Credit Acceptance are more likely to be sued. But theirs are not usually structured as leases.

Now you know why buy here pay here dealers should be avoided.

• Never
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Unlikely to be able to sell it for what is owed.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Read the lease. Did they not hold up their end of the bargain?

If you break the lease, they can sue you for the entire amount owed.

• Geo
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

And post what the car is. You'll get better answrs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.