Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 months ago

Problem with my goal of commissioning in the United States Marine Corps.?

I want to become an officer within the Marine Corps. I plan on going with the NROTC Marine option route in order to pursue a commission.

I am currently entering my senior year of high school and I intend on putting in as much effort as I can to compete for an NROTC Scholarship to the Citadel or another NROTC Marine Option unit. If I consider myself to be a weak individual in terms of physical fitness to Marine Corps standards is there any advice I could get in order to help improve within those standards (2nd class to 1st class PFT) so I can pursue the commission and to improve my chances of being competitive for the scholarship?

• Mark B
    Favorite Answer

The biggest issue with new recruits is RUNNING. Do a lot of that. You do not have to try out for sports or anything organized. You can do that on your own. For The Citadel, there will also be a lot of physical training/conditioning when you enter the program. Even if you are not pursuing ROTC.

With your senior year coming up, you have time to work on your conditioning. Entering any ROTC program will also require some physical training as you go through the program. It is really running (2-3 miles), pushups, situps (or crunches for the Marines), and pull ups. The "advice" is to get off the couch and exercise every day. Do not try to kill yourself at the beginning and get injured. Alternate long runs and shorter, faster runs. Get a good pair of shoes for running. You don't have to go to a gym for pushups and situps, but it can help to do some additional weight training. You could also do some ruck marching and build up distance and weight. That will help get you in shape and strengthen your core muscles.

You don't say where you are from. If you have a recruiter from The Citadel nearby, you can work with them. You can TRY a USMC recruiter, but, keep in mind, they have NOTHING to do with ROTC and they will try to get you to enlist. You are probably better off contacting the NROTC Detachment at The Citadel and asking if they can provide a helpful workout program. This is also a very good excuse to contact them and prove your interest. It could go a LONG way towards successfully receiving a scholarship. Do NOT let your grades slip and do well on the SAT/ACT. Those will be big factors in whether or not you receive a scholarship. Even if you don't get a 4-year, they also have 3 and 2 year scholarships that you can apply for once you are enrolled. You CAN take ROTC without being on scholarship.

Source(s): Went through Army ROTC, living in South Carolina with friends who are Citadel alumni.
  • John

You will get the most respect by graduating the Naval Academy in Annapolis. The Marine Corps also attends the Naval Academy. However, you have to be appointed to the Naval Academy. There are several ways to do that and one way is get appointed by your Congressman.

• Squid

Go out for a sport every season, including summer break. Pick the one with the most intense conditioning. Crew. Boxing. Wrestling.

Also, contact your local USMC recruiter. Usually they offer PT for their enlistees in DEP and run the PFT. Ask them to join in.

• John

We were all friends who boxed in the barn but bare knuckle fist fighters behind the high school gym. I knew a little Judo which was my secret weapon.

Exercise

Join a gym with fitness instructors. Tell them what is your goal and let them help you achieve it.