Should I have my dog neutered?

He's a 21 m/o, 20 lbs cattle dog mix. I wanted to wait until 2 yrs for neutering, but within the span of 6 months, he got two bacterial infections in his p*enis (which would probably stop if neutered, according to the vet), so I made an appointment. Now I'm having doubts. He's well-behaved. He... show more He's a 21 m/o, 20 lbs cattle dog mix. I wanted to wait until 2 yrs for neutering, but within the span of 6 months, he got two bacterial infections in his p*enis (which would probably stop if neutered, according to the vet), so I made an appointment. Now I'm having doubts.

He's well-behaved. He doesn't mark inside, has never attempted to escape or roam in search of a female, doesn't get into dominance fights with other dogs, & doesn't hump dogs/people/toys. He does bark at strange men & occasionally women, but it's because he was abused & not socialized or trained before I rescued him. It's rapidly improving as well. He's friendly & confident with all dogs, male & female, and has never shown dog-aggression. But he's easily distracted by other dogs to the point where most high value treats can't get his attention.

He's fit, muscular, & healthy. Most neutered pets I know of are at least a little pudgy, even if they're energetic (but maybe it's just bad pet parenting?). I worry neutering him would change his physical health and he'll lose his muscles even if I reduce food intake & maintain his exercise regimen. I also read a few articles/studies that suggested neutering changes dogs' behavior for the worse.. I'm worried it'll cause him to revert to his crazy barking at men again, or even worse, become seriously aggressive. I know the best option is to talk to my vet, which I intend to do, but I want to get the opinions of seasoned dog owners as well. What do you think?
Update: To clarify: I'm 100% not planning to breed him -- he is a mutt. I only wanted to wait on neutering until he physically matured, not to breed him. If not neutering, I will do a vasectomy for sure. Also, I understand that neutering has health benefits related to testicular cancer. I'm mostly concerned about... show more To clarify: I'm 100% not planning to breed him -- he is a mutt. I only wanted to wait on neutering until he physically matured, not to breed him. If not neutering, I will do a vasectomy for sure. Also, I understand that neutering has health benefits related to testicular cancer. I'm mostly concerned about the personality/temperament changes, so it would be wonderful if you could provide insight on that. :)
Update 2: Again, to clarify: the vet explained he most likely got infections from licking himself. She said inside the shaft is moist (since intact dogs produce discharge), so it makes a great breeding ground for bacteria. I assume a vasectomy would stop the problem as well as neutering, please correct me if I am wrong.