If I fly up to the moon, is it legal for me to bring back a moon rock and then sell it?

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Uh....sure..! Knock yourself out.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

It depends if it is allowed (or, at least, not forbidden) by some law in the country where you plan to bring it back and sell it. There may be entry requirements for example (customs). There may be quarantine requirements. These change from country to country, including many countries who have absolutely nothing in the laws for this particular case. If they are under a COmmon Law regime, then you would be OK.

Of course, if there was the commission of a criminal offense (such as, for example, flying a rocket in a manner deemed to be criminally dangerous), maybe the rock would be seized as being goods obtained through the commission of a crime. That part is even more complicated.

• 1 year ago

All the moon rocks current on earth are the property of NASA and can not be privately owned or sold. But if you go to the moon your self and bring back some rocks, I guess they belong to you.

• Raymond
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Some rocks are the property of Russia, as they were brought back by a vehicle from the Soviet Union.

• 1 year ago

If you could mange it

I don't think anybody would mind

It is Meteorites, Finders Keepers

££££££

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

There is no point in asking about the legality of something you can never and will never do.

• 1 year ago

By strict interpretation of the law, it isn't... Private citizens are forbidden from owning moon rocks and other geological samples from outer space.

• ...Show all comments
    • You have meteorites??? You have the right to remain silent. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, the court will appoint one for you. Anything you say (or post) can be used against you in the geological court of law...

• 1 year ago

Don't know why not. That would make rocks private property.

I have a small meteorite, that is technically space rock.

• Paula
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Yes, Sure that is ok

So go for it.

Remember that "Might is Right"

If you have the means to get to the moon, you are allowed to pick up a few moon rocks.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Not until or unless it's allowed through customs. We don't want any foreign diseases or viruses brought into the country.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

would have to be quarantined to make sure it hasn't got any 'moon bugs' in it ..............

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.