Loc asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 7 months ago

Is Acting really a full time thing?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The thing is every acting job is temporary. So it could be a “full time thing” until it’s not. For example, you get a gig with a repertory theater and work full time for several months and at the end of the season you’re out of work and have to find another job (acting or otherwise).

And attempting a professional acting career is like running a business where you are the product being marketed and sold. So even if you’re not working a specific acting job, you’re working on your career: getting training, working on marketing materials (including website and social media), networking, and the like. That takes time and effort, so it could be a “full time thing” in that sense.

But most professional actors don’t support themselves by acting alone. They have an “along side” job to make money to support themselves and their career. But if you’re taking an acting career seriously, it takes priority.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you want to be a real actor, yes.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Yes if you are lucky

• 7 months ago

It can be, depending on the amount of work that you get

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Very, very rarely.

The closest anyone ever gets to that is a job in a soap opera or very long-running TV series. But even then, they can kill off your character at any time.

Some A-List actors are lucky enough to get job after job and spend most of their time acting, but it's never really 'full-time'. Every job is only temporary and could easily be their last - ever!

The vast majority of actors never get more than about ten days' paid acting work a year, and even that's in small roles, in small productions. Most have to work an 'ordinary' job alongside auditioning, getting more training, doing loads of unpaid work for experience, applying for auditions, and the occasional, rare paid acting gig.

• 7 months ago

They'd like it to be. I have a HS classmate who played M. Firmin in the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway for thirteen years running. That's eight shows a week, two on Saturday.

And before Broadway, he did the same part, Firmin, for another thirteen years with a traveling roadshow of the Phantom. I used to kid him that, after 26 years doing the same part, he might finally get all the lines memorized.

And before Phantom, he was on Where the Heart Is a CBS TV soap opera of the 1960s. And he directed the Fantastiks in San Francisco.

And coups de gras, if you've ever seen "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood, my HS classmate is the one who sprays Clint with water in an isolation cell. He has all the fun.

But my point, for him, acting was certainly a full time thing. So the answer is yes, acting can be a full-time job.

But I think even he will agree that he was fortunate. Most actors don't have full-time projects like he did. And most fail to make a legitimate living at acting; so they have other jobs.

• 7 months ago

It can be.

But not usually. Most actors have day jobs and work for years before they can make a living doing only performance work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.