Anonymous

What's wrong with job hopping?

I'm a new worker and I don't see what's wrong with finding a job where you feel rewarded and people respect you and you have purpose. So why would you have to stick it out in a job that's not best for you?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Best Answer

I see nothing wrong with it. I changed jobs at least once a year until I was about 30. I tried different fields then when I found a field I liked, I changed jobs yearly to find an employer who was paying better

• 6 months ago

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. Job hopping is ok til you find a good one or you can turn an ok one into a great deal. Definitely if you land a good job keep it. If you're being mistreated of course you should do something about that.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Typically people who are always switching jobs, schools, and locations have problems. They also drop their commitments at the drop of a hat. it’s a case of the grass is always greener. That said most companies don’t promote internally these days so you have to switch jobs to move up.

• 6 months ago

Job hopping means any future employer would not be feeling strongly that you'd stay in the position they hire you for.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Think of your employer. It costs a lot of time and money to hire each person. if you think they will leave soon will you hire them?

The younger you are the sooner it's okay to leave. Our of high school the summer is fine. Our of college a year. Later two years. Keep moving for promotions and raises but stay long enough that new employers think you'll be worth it.

At a big company I said the weekly company newsletter. Each week they reviewed an excutive. Nearly all of them changed jobs every 2-3 years their entire career. It turns out it's bad to leave too soon and to stay too long.

• 6 months ago

That isn't a good look on you as far as employers as concerned. Employers want someone reliable, stable, and that can be seen as a valuable asset to their establishment. Unfortunately, when your resume reflects otherwise, employers won't be willing to take a chance on you. Good workers are hard to come by; therefore, employers are looking for people that intend on keeping their jobs. For the long haul and not someone that bounces from job to job in my opinion.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I job hopped for 12 years trying all sorts of jobs. Gas stations, fast food, customer service, factories, landscaping, construction, merchandising, railroads, mines, and everything between. There’s nothing wrong with job hopping. How are you supposed to know what you really want to do if you’re not supposed to try anything. Anyone who gives you trouble for job hopping is just an idiot. Let them make $12 an hour their whole life at Walmart if they’re happy never doing anything or trying anything better. To an employer, you’re just a number. Make the employer just a number to you. It’s a business deal, not a relationship. Use employers the way they use you. For your own benefit.

• 6 months ago

Who says you have to stick it out? There's no such rule.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Nothing is wrong with it except that no employer wants to hire a chronically dissatisfied employee.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You don't. But if you have a problem with 3 or 4 jobs in a row, it's likely YOU, not mainly the jobs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.