EU Settlement Scheme Application: Non-eu family member. Can someone apply for it just being in a civil relationship?

Or do you really have to be married? It's that I'm hiding the relationship from my family. I am a polish national who lived in the UK for 10 years, my family cannot find out I'm gay and that, on top of that, my boyfriend is black. I'm not ready to tell them the truth yet. So I wont marry, but I can... show more Or do you really have to be married? It's that I'm hiding the relationship from my family. I am a polish national who lived in the UK for 10 years, my family cannot find out I'm gay and that, on top of that, my boyfriend is black. I'm not ready to tell them the truth yet. So I wont marry, but I can pretend my boyfriend is just a flat mate helping with rent.
To the Home Office I cannot lie, I will tell the truth, but will they give him the residence permit if he is just my civil partner who I share the bed with?