How is one considered not truly an adult if they choose to not have kids?

I've heard people say that those of us who choose to opt out of parenthood are "children" ourselves. We're "perpetually adolescents." That we're not fully adults if we don't bring children into our lives. How is this exactly? We still have to work. We still have to pay our... show more I've heard people say that those of us who choose to opt out of parenthood are "children" ourselves. We're
"perpetually adolescents." That we're not fully adults if we don't bring children into our lives. How is this exactly? We still have to work. We still have to pay our bills, pay taxes etc. With or without kids we still have adult responsibilities. The only difference is we have more control over certain aspects of our lives that those with children may not have. It's a lifestyle choice. It's not a threshold you absolutely MUST cross in order to be an adult. In my opinion being a true adult is defined by how you treat others, that you hold yourself accountable, that you are honest and trustworthy, faithful, reliable, responsible, etc. None of that has anything to do with having kids or not. How is this even a thing? I am very curious because I've heard/read it quite a bit lately.