Why is my bank asking for references?

*Please read all to avoid irrelevant answers* I'm curious as to if this is normal when asking to have a higher credit card limit. I simply said that I'd like to double it to around 8k-10k. They are having me fill out applications, getting all sorts of info, references asking for employer supervisors etc.... show more *Please read all to avoid irrelevant answers*

I'm curious as to if this is normal when asking to have a higher credit card limit. I simply said that I'd like to double it to around 8k-10k. They are having me fill out applications, getting all sorts of info, references asking for employer supervisors etc.
But here is the thing, I have excellent credit (well over 700), I've taken out SEVERAL loans (all different types, personal, title, etc) paid them all off on time and some early. They even financed me for a 15k vehicle loan. All this on top of already having the credit card to begin with (and it's one of their top of the line cards, too).

So, why is it necessary to go through all these hoops as if I have absolutely zero credit just to simply raise my card limit slightly? To be honest, I find it a bit insulting and a total waste of time. Isn't this initially what credit scores are for?