Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 7 months ago

How do I convince my parents to let me stretch my ears?

I’m 16 years old and for years now I’ve wanted to stretch my ears (only to a 2g) and I bought some off amazon but despite the package being addressed to me my mum opened it. She made me feel guilty and embarrassed about it questioning ‘why would you want to do thAt to your ears?’ So I told her it was a present for a friend. She warned me and told me that she’d better not see them in my ears. She’s always been making me feel guilty for wanting piercings and tattoos. I only have my first lobes done because when my mum finally caved to letting me have my seconds she began acting childish and refused to talk to me so I decided it was easier to not get them done. My dad (who got both lobes pierced at my age) also questioned why I want it done. The simple answer is that I like how they look. It’s my body, I really don’t see what the big deal is they’re just earlobes after all. I think it’s because my mum never got her ears pierced and likes the idea of me being a stereotypical well behaved, smart kid like she was. Sorry this was long.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 5
    7 months ago

Don't mess with your body...you're probably pretty the way you are.

• 7 months ago

I stretched my ears at 17 ,now 3 years later I'm at 9/16 ..my boyfriend bought me my starter kit..and honestly my parents didn't care..they're just earrings tell them it's a part of life and you're almost 17.

• Lava
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

First, stop lying. Come clean and apologize for the lie, explaining why you weren't comfortable being honest. Second, remember you can be a well behaved smart kid with piercings, so don't play into the expectations of being a bad kid just because you're someone who may get a tattoo or three later in life. If you want to have a serious discussion about it with your mom, first look at what you can do to meet her expectations. Are you well behaved, punctual, kind, and studious? If not, think about getting your grades up and stop missing your curfew before starting the conversation. The more you act like an adult without being asked, the more likely they'll be able to see you as someone mature enough to make these type of decisions.

Second, come prepared both with research, and prepared to hear and accept no. Bring it up as a hypothetical, and ask if they would let you know their objections to it. Listen and be receptive to what they say. Be able to answer their questions honestly. If you can't answer what you'd do if you change your mind in 3 years or how to treat a torn or blown out lobe piercing, then you need to spend more time researching and thinking on this before you bring it up. If you don't actually listen, they won't listen to you either. If the discussion becomes heated, if they flat out say no, or if the mood gets unpleasant, stop. Ask for permission to bring it up at a later date, then drop it entirely until then (increasing your perceived maturity with more good deeds in the meantime.) Remember you're trying to be seen as mature, you need to be cool headed and respectful, especially if they are the type to get frustrated and yell "Because I said so!"

A dedicated show of maturity in general life and in your conversations with your parents won't guarantee they'll say yes, of course. But it will make a lot of thing in your life easier. It will be easier to talk to them like people, it will be easier for them to see you as a young adult instead of their little baby - meaning easier for them to say yes to other things that you may want to do. And even if they never agree, it will make them less worried when you turn 18 and start doing whatever you feel like with your body, because you'll have spent a few years showing them you make smart decisions.

• 7 months ago

It's really hard to convince parents for such stuff, maybe you should look for the right time, do well in your school. On your birthday maybe you can ask it as a present.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LM440
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

The first problem was the lie about it. Now it will be more difficult to explain why you want to stretch. The explanation you gave here about why you wanted to do it was honest. It may or may not have worked but now things are more complicated.

I don't buy some of the above answers. If you want to learn about stretching (and 2 GA in not radical) research it with professional piercers. Gather the info then make your decision. Due to your age and living with your parents you will need to get permission.

I don't think it is a big deal. But if you cannot get approval at this time you have to wait until you are a legal adult or living on your own. Be reasonable, patient and I hope you can reach an agreement.

• 7 months ago

Ew. People who guage their ears look like tráiler trash. Stop destroying your body

• 7 months ago

You will never ever convince them. They don't want you to get bullied, not get a job, and in a few years you will need ear lobe surgery. I had one because I was born with big ear lobes. It costs a lot of money, had to heal for weeks and I can tell you, feeling scissors cut off your ear lobes is one of the most horrible experiences in your love, with those half locally sedated ears that bleed like hell all over your chest. And it sound like paper being cut but you can still feel the scissors.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You don't. You are showing that you are too young to make responsible decisions.

• 7 months ago

you grow up, I've seen stories about people who regretted it and had to have surgery to repair it, some could not afford it, as it was cosmetic, it isn't covered by insurance in the US. look for a show called dr pimple popper, one episode featured an ADULT who regretted it

I AM NOT AN IDIOT LIKE YOU, DOESN'T MATTER THAT YOU ARE IN THE UK......DID YOU CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM PAYS FOR COSMETIC SURGERY? i would be shocked it if did...

BECAUSE I AM AWARE YOU ARE NOT IN THE US, I MADE SURE TO MENTION I WAS REFERRING TO THE COST IN THE US...AS I SUSPECTED IT WOULD BE OUT OF POCKET IN YOUR COUNTRY

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE IN THE UK DOESN'T MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO USE SHOWS....maybe not many, its up to you to look into if you can see this show or not...maybe just a clip on youtube.

• Susie
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

You’ve only got 2 years till you’re 18. If you still want to do it then, no one can stop you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.