Tiffany asked in HealthDental · 6 months ago

Are bleached white teeth more attractive than a healthy normal slightly off white?

Saw a whitening specialist today and she said she would only be able to lift the teeth 3 shades because they aren't very dark. Now my I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

Best Answer

I don't think it's necessary for them to be super white. I actually kind of hate the superfake Hollywood looking smiles that you see these days. While it does look better than yellow or totally jacked up teeth, it's not what I'd prefer to see. Natural looking is best, and I'd say "normal" white is really the best. Some teeth are so white that they have an almost blue look to them. I dont know how much professional whitening is, but if you don't really need it and it is costly, I'd say to try over-the-counter things to give your teeth a little "white" boost. One product I like is Arm and Hammer Whitening Booster- you just add the gel to your toothpaste. Problem is it's hard to find for some reason, and has been for years now. But there's plenty of other products you could try.

No! I have seen pictures of Americans, and many have freaky white teeth, that almost glow. To me, it looks very odd, and unnatural.

• Tiffany6 months agoReport

Yes American... I asked my parents if they think I need whitening. They don't but they are old and it just seems like everyone else my age is getting their teeth whitened. Which makes me believe my teeth are dull in comparison.

• JimZ

The albedo from my smiling mouth is higher than when it is closed but I'm not causing much cooling (I seldom smile at the sun). I had to add a little global warming lingo in my answer since that is where YA apparently put it.

Personally, I think you get a better value at over the counter whiteners at Target than whiteners at a dentist. That way you aren't paying for some dentist's insurance, and health care and social security etc. I'm cheap and don't like to waste my money. They try to sell you on it, but you probably don't really need it IMO. It sounds like she was admitting that your teeth are pretty white anyway. Sometimes too white can look fake and who wants to look like they have dentures?

Very white is attractive because it looks clean but I have seen too white but not too often. Still that is better than yellow teeth. I drink coffee and I'm not willing to cut that out so I have to deal with less than brilliant white. If you brush twice a day, you'll be Ok without the whitening IMO and probably better since there are other issues too regarding your dental health.

Slightly 'off' white is more natural looking. Some REALLY white teeth are almost scary. 3 shades will be noticable

Depends on whether you are obsessed with your appearance or not.

Most people like 'natural'.