Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 6 months ago

traffic light question?

My wife and I differ on this question. She thinks, that a certain traffic light applies to the entire intersection. I think, that this traffic light only protects a pedestrian crossing. There are only traffic lights on one side of this intersection. And usually this traffic light is off. It only turns on, if a pedestrian presses a button. I usually make a left turn on this intersection. I one would go straight, one would cross the protected pedestrian crossing. If one would cross the intersection in parallel to the pedestrian crossing, one does not see any traffic light but a stop sign. so: can I make a left turn on this crossing while the traffic light is red?

Streets in clockwise order: 12, 3, 6, 9. I'm coming from 6 and want to go to 9. There is a stop sign at 3 and 9. There are traffic lights at 12 pointing to 6 and traffic lights at 12 pointing to 12. The pedestrian crossing is at 12 from 3 to 9 or from 9 to 3. Do I have to wait for a red light when going from 6 to 9? If so, somebody going from 9 to 6 or from 9 to 3 does not see any traffic light and would have the right to go during a red light.

Most of you have not addressed my question in any way but only cited things, which I already read.

I'm also amazed that many people wrote an "answer" and immediately claimed to not have understood the question (why did you bother then?).

I did not ask any of the following questions:

* if pedestrians always have the right of way

* if somebody making an unprotected left turn has to yield to traffic going straight

* what a green arrow means

* what traffic signal applies to pedestrians

Best Answer

Your daughter is right.

• Edna

WHAT??. I don't understand what you're asking. If the traffic light facing you is green, you go! If it's red, you stop! Simple!

If you're in the left lane of traffic that has a left turn indicator and the left turn arrow is green, you can make a left turn, but you can't make a right turn. Neither can you proceed straight ahead; not as long as the left-turn arrow is green. The left turn light is ONLY for those intending to make a left turn.

• don r

If you entered the intersection during a green or yellow, to make a left turn, tou need to yield to any and all impeding traffic. It doesn't matter if you can or can't see the pedestrian crossing light- and I think that's a very bad plan to have their light invisible to drivers. When they walk into the intersection you need to let them pass safely. When pedestrians have a "don't walk" they need to stay on the sidewalk and I see them jay walking against this all the time. They are wrong to do this, but you never get to hit them on purpose. You need to show your wife what the driving summary says about this- the official rules of the road. You are prohibited from gridlocking the intersection from lack of driving skill, so complete your left turn as safely and expressly as possible without denying right of way where it applies.

• Dimo

State Laws rule -- post the actually location, with Google Maps Long. & Lat..

Without that, everyone is just guessing.

If it is the green/yellow/red, in the US it applies to road traffic. Pedestrians are guided by the square walk/don't walk signs where present but are guided by the traffic lights where they are not present. It would help a lot to know where in the world this is.

EDIT - In India it is very different; in Canada it is a little different. Here in Arizona it is not terribly different. In Texas it is governed by the MUTCD (first source) and the Texas supplement (second source). From page 517 of the Texas supplement, "Pedestrian signal heads provide special types of traffic signal indications exclusively intended for controlling pedestrian traffic. These signal indications consist of the illuminated symbols of a WALKING PERSON (symbolizing WALK) and an UPRAISED HAND (symbolizing DONT WALK)." If the signal is not this type, Texas says it applies to motor vehicles.

• ExcessPhase6 months agoReport

I'm not sure, why this would depend on the address...
      And again: Consider that somebody going in the opposite direction does not see a traffic light and would be able to go (or wait and wonder what the cars driving in the other direction are waiting for).
      3001 Grimes Ranch Rd, Austin, TX

• Ron

Provide an address of this light and I can look for myself

• Ron

As long as you are not crossing the crosswalk while the light is red, you are fine

• ?

I'm not sure I grasp it either, but from what you say this appears to be a red light for the pedestrian crossing. If there is a red light you must not pass it. If it's not a light for the crossing but there is a facility to turn left at the light while it's on red there will be a left-pointing green arrow lit up. You won't find this at a pedestrian crossing.

• Rona Lachat

Those facing Stop sign can go straight or turn as long as they YIELD to pedestrians.IN all directions.
      The Pedestrian can proceed at this red light. and they may cross in front of the cars on the Stop sign sides or in front of you. That the crosswalk is not painted does not mean it does not exist.

• Susie

I’m not sure I understand the intersection set up, but I’m pretty sure you can’t make a left hand turn if you have a red light if it’s just not a red light for the right hand turn lane. If you have the right to turn left, there should be a left turn green arrow designating that.

• ExcessPhase6 months agoReport

at which distance from the crossing would you think that the traffic light only protects the pedestrian crossing? (Where I come from such ambiguities are impossible!)