Feeding hatchling Mexican Alligator Lizards (Abronia)?

I just got 2 Mexican Alligator Lizards... They’re apparently only a few weeks old. I have a lot of advanced level reptile experience & do a lot of research, but I’ve never owned something younger than three months. I was told to feed them each one pinhead cricket a day, and they’re doing great with that. But,... show more I just got 2 Mexican Alligator Lizards... They’re apparently only a few weeks old. I have a lot of advanced level reptile experience & do a lot of research, but I’ve never owned something younger than three months.

I was told to feed them each one pinhead cricket a day, and they’re doing great with that. But, I was wondering about giving them extra small Phoenix worms (soldier fly larva). They’re very high in calcium and nutrient and I figure it will be easier for them to eat. ... Plus, every reptile I’ve had loves phoenix worms. But, these guys swallow their food whole without chewing so, I’m concerned that a worm could harm them at their age.

I know some meal worms are known to eat through a lizard if they aren’t digested properly in time. I don’t know if soldier fly larvae are capable of the same thing. And these guys are so small and obviously vulnerable, they also can’t be in high temps at their age, which plays a role in speed of digestion.

Does anyone know from experience... Is it safe to feed them extra small from phoenixworms.com?
1 answer 1