Native speakers of English, please, can you help me?

I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural? Attempts were made to control all people’s waking hours and their free time. People were even encouraged to eat out... show more I am not a native speaker of English and I need to translate a historic text. I am really struggling with this paragraph, maybe someone has ideas how to make the text flow better and more natural?

Attempts were made to control all people’s waking hours and their free time. People were even encouraged to eat out in public canteens.
Also, attempts were made to replace Christian social traditions with new ones, with a particular focus on strengthening collectivism both in workplaces and residential areas.