Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 months ago

Why doesn't the United States either tear down all confederate statues or move them to a museum?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Linda
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Why????? We are PROUD of our statues and want everyone to be able to see them 24/7.

• Diederich7 months agoReport

You* are proud of statues of men who had their sole purpose in life be to fight to keep slavery? You're a racist piece of ****, Linda.

• 7 months ago

Plenty of the statues are loving memories of dead soldiers. Many of those statues are identical to the Union ones in the north. To me those are fine. Turn a bad memory into a good one.

As with Harvey Mudd in Star Trek, some people serve as bad examples. If a statue was put up for that reason near the Civil War I am happy for those to be moved to the garden behind the county history museum.

A lot of these statues were put up for racist suppression during the 20th century. To me, melt those ones and sell the metal as scrap.

• 7 months ago

History And Money

Money is an understandable argument- The history argument is stupid. Books are for history. Statues are for glorification. And in this situation it's glorifying people who's sole purpose in life was to fight for **slavery**

• Fred
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

They are part of American history and to the people of the area they are in memory of what were great men who fought for what they believed. The men who fought for the southern states may have lost the war but they did what they saw was their duty and fought for the values of their states. For this they should have the right to be remembered.

They would be remembered as is-- Because books exist. Also, the "great men" of the Confederacy "fought for the values" of slavery. That's what they were for. Taking black people, buying and selling them, and forcing them to work. That's what they believed in. You moron.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

And a Confederate Museum won't draw issues?

No one needs a monument to remember General Lee. Anyone who can read at a third grade level can read all about him. Statues are for glorification.

• 7 months ago

we shouldn't take them down or move them it is apart of history that people want to forget but we shouldn't forget history

• coleman
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

im not trying to "say that as if it's a "gotcha" you've never seen it happen so you don't believe it right? you have no faith and are miserable its very sad im sorry that it happens to you

• blu
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's not a federal issue. State and local jurisdictions decide about confederate imagery.

The Constitution doesn't address secession (it describes adding new states or dividing existing ones). The south could have challenged the Constitutionality of secession long before the war.

I consider firing on Ft. Sumter treasonous. I think both sides could have prevented war by agreeing to phase slavery out gradually. The south over reacted.

"Texas v. White. Texas v. White, (1869), U.S. Supreme Court case in which it was held that the United States is “an indestructible union” from which no state can secede."

https://www.britannica.com/event/Texas-v-White

• 7 months ago

Because, like it or not, the Confederacy is part of your history.

• Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

the USA has made the Liar war criminal a hero

the Lincoln memorial is racist Grant still had slaves 12 months after the war

• 7 months ago

Because like it or not slavery is a historical part of how the United States was formed! What was made wrong in later years is the essential reason why this country expanded.

I think there needs to be some kind of provision that if you disagree in this day and age with how the United States was formed over slavery and want to make an issue out of it that you can go to the government for a one-way ticket out of this country surrender your citizenship and receive a little bit of dollars to get the hell out of this country.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Because a lot of confederate holdouts still hate America. They killed someone the last time a property owner decided to move a confederate statue off of their private property. And then they blamed the victim for being a pedestrian.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.