Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 months ago

disqualifying medical conditions with the marines, navy, army, etc...?

I've been thinking of applying to the naval academy for when I graduate high school, or going to regular college and later joining the military. One possible setback: I have pcos (poly cystic ovarian syndrome). The only symptoms I have are minor acne and my menstrual cycle is a bit wonky. would this disqualify me, or could I get waived for it? I've read through the list of automatic disqualifiers and I cant figure out of if it applies. Granted, I've read about women in the army (etc.) who have pcos, but were diagnosed after they were enlisted...

ALSO: forgot to mention this, but I haven't told my parents about wanting to do this. As I am still a minor, I don't think "ask your recruiter" would be the best advice, considering they don't know. I know I'll obviously eventually have to break the news to them, but as of now, it's not that simple. Sorry!

CLARIFICATION: I am a junior in high school, I have above average grades, and all that. I'm going to apply for the different service academies in the fall of my senior year/this summer, which is when people are supposed to do so. I think my wording made it sound like I was going to apply after I graduated...

• Squid
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you can talk to your recruiter when you are under 18. That's what most people do. If you don't want your parents to know, simply use a disposable email for the contact info you give the recruiter.

Here are the medical qualification standards: https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/is...

Scroll down to page 24, disqualifying conditions, section 5.13.h: "Polycystic ovarian syndrome unless no evidence of metabolic complications as specified by National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and American Heart Association Guidelines."

What that means is that you would need to be evaluated for any metabolic complications. If there are none, then you are medically qualified.

Schizophrenia

• Daniel

What Squid said. Unfortunately, some conditions like this aren't black and white. Your doctor might be able to look over what AR 40-501 says and give you a better understanding of where you stand. In the end, it will be up to DODMERB to decide whether you are DQ or not.

Also, if you are thinking of service academies or ROTC, you need to be working on them long before you graduate from high school

• Em9 months agoReport

I'm in my junior year, and I've already been in the process of preparing myself academically and physically for the application process for the academies/ROTC! thank you so much for the input though, I appreciate it a ton :)

• Mrsjvb

yes PCOS is a DQ. waivers are not likely for any of the Academies. same for ROTC.

to enlist: depends on how badly they need new recruits. right now only the Army is having problems meeting their goals, which means they are most likely to grant waivers. who knows what the situation will be when you are done with high school.

• Sandy

ask the recruiter.

• Daniel

"Recruiters" don't deal with service academies.