Shelly asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

My pet sitter lost my cat??!?

It is a new pet sitter that I let watch my cat, and he ran away because she let the door open.. and now he's gone. What can I do from here??!?!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Post it on social media asking if anyone has seen your cat include a picture and gender. Contact nearby animal shelters asking if they received any cats within the time they ran away.

• 6 months ago

This has happened to my cat. Everything the previous comments have said you should do. Search, put up posters, check shelters, etc. Thankfully, my cat loved looking out the window and ended up coming back. He is an indoor cat and has never even been outside besides for his vet visits. Somehow, in the middle of the night he was meowing at the door and scratching at it. Make sure to listen for meows and check once in a while. I'm so thankful someone was awake at that hour to know he was there.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I would hang posters, call Vet offices, run an ad in the newspaper, look around the neighborhood, go door to door.

Assuming that you wouldn't trust your cat to someone who isn't bonded and insured, you have a claim for any money you spend trying to locate the cat, any Vet bills when you do find it, your time lost from work, the cost of the cat and in some States, all of the money you've spent on the cat (neutering, shots, etc.).

The petsitter will also lose her bond.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Accidents happen. I would start by putting up flyers of Lost Cat with a picture, personally checking local shelters - don't just call and ask. Enlist in the neighborhood kids to help locate the cat, have neighbors check their sheds, garages, etc. for the cat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

call shelters and put up flyers on light polls and in supermarket board. i once had brainless tortoise escaped from my garden. twice. first i put flyers everywhere and someone actually spotted it while walking the dog. another time i called shelter and someone found it crossing the road and brought to a shelter. your cat might have cone to someone's house and meowed there and nice kind people took it in or brought to a shelter

• patty
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

put up flyers in the area. also check the local vets as sometimes if people find a cat they will take to the vet

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Put a dish of food out. Most cats are pretty good at finding their way. Food should help motivate them.

• Casey
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

it does help. especially if you leave other things that smell like you.

• 6 months ago

Sue but odds are the judge will say with nothing about writing about caring for your cat they probably won't be held liable.

Have you gone to LOOK for the cat?

Have you put up signs?

Have you contacted the local shelter and listed the cat as missing?

Did this REALLY happen or are you just a bored troll?

• 6 months ago

Cats that get out are often really scared and hiding.

I have brought these kitties home by:

Simmering a wild caught salmon head in chicken broth with all doors and windows open to get as much smell as possible outside.

I discovered this trick while making pet food from wild salmon heads I had gotten at the fish market. I looked out my front window and a half dozen cats I had never seen before were on my deck, all politely ignoring each other. As I lived in a somewhat remote area this was astonishing.

After that, a couple times when housemates cats got out I’d make my fish head soup and within an hour, the cat, along with all other cats in a half mile radius, would be back.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

You search the area, put up posters, check local shelters for your pet, etc. Beyond that, is the pet sitter a professional that carries liability insurance? If they are, you should be able to lodge a claim due to negligence and receive money for damages (your pet, your time, etc). If not, good luck. Even if you sue and win, the likelihood of actually collecting a judgment from an uninsured, low paid, self-employed, pet sitter is pretty near to zero.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.