How do I update/upgrade my MacBook Pro (late 2008)?

The system it’s running right now is snow leapard OS X 10.6 ( I had to buy it)

Safari is still very outdated (5.1)

I don’t know where to start in getting my browser updated. Also I can’t download pretty much anything off the App Store without an error popping up saying I need my software to be 10. Something

Favorite Answer

It looks like your Mac supports up to OS X El Capitan. Go to this Apple page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 Scroll down to Step 4 to find the link to get the El Capitan page to show up on your App Store.

• opurt

The Late 2008 MacBook Pro should be able to be updated to macOS 10.11 "El Capitán", which you should be able to download from the Mac App Store, assuming you have enough RAM (2 GB minimum) and disk space to run it properly.

Even that's 3 versions old (since the latest is 10.14 Mojave), so the Safari version will be more current but still not completely up to date.

You can also try alternative browsers like Firefox or Chrome that may have more current versions that work on older macOS versions.