Girlfriends father wanting to sell me his old 1988 GMC 1500 as my first vehicle?

So I’m in the ballpark of being able to afford my own car. I am 17 years old and I’m looking to get a vehicle for me. I’ve been looking around craigslist and I have a 3-4K budget and I’m paying for everything (insurance, maintenance, etc). My girlfriend told me her dad has been trying to sell his old truck for... show more So I’m in the ballpark of being able to afford my own car. I am 17 years old and I’m looking to get a vehicle for me. I’ve been looking around craigslist and I have a 3-4K budget and I’m paying for everything (insurance, maintenance, etc). My girlfriend told me her dad has been trying to sell his old truck for awhile. It’s a 1988 GMC 1500 with a rebuilt 350 with a little over 15-20,000 miles on it. She says it needs work. Front right caliper needs to be rebuilt, new tires, new AC relay, but that’s all she said. It’s been sitting awhile so I’m sure it’ll need some more too and I’m really hoping the tranny was rebuilt with the engine. I understand it’s a 30 year old vehicle. This just happened to be a good opportunity. I have a buddy who has the exact same vehicle who knows his truck up and down and he offered to help me with any repair and give me some parts if I ever needed them. He’s going to come with me to look at this so he knows what to look out for This will be my first vehicle. Any advice or opinions?