Girlfriends father wanting to sell me his old 1988 GMC 1500 as my first vehicle?

So I’m in the ballpark of being able to afford my own car. I am 17 years old and I’m looking to get a vehicle for me. I’ve been looking around craigslist and I have a 3-4K budget and I’m paying for everything (insurance, maintenance, etc). My girlfriend told me her dad has been trying to sell his old truck for awhile. It’s a 1988 GMC 1500 with a rebuilt 350 with a little over 15-20,000 miles on it. She says it needs work. Front right caliper needs to be rebuilt, new tires, new AC relay, but that’s all she said. It’s been sitting awhile so I’m sure it’ll need some more too and I’m really hoping the tranny was rebuilt with the engine. I understand it’s a 30 year old vehicle. This just happened to be a good opportunity. I have a buddy who has the exact same vehicle who knows his truck up and down and he offered to help me with any repair and give me some parts if I ever needed them. He’s going to come with me to look at this so he knows what to look out for This will be my first vehicle. Any advice or opinions?

1/ Do not buy a car from your gf's father. It will create ill feeling when there are problems.

Old saying, never buy a used car from friend's or family.

2/ This truck is over 30 years old. That truck does not have 15-20,000 miles on it. Maybe since the 350 was fitted but a vehicles mileage is from new, not from new engine. Everything on it is old and tired. It will be a money pit. It's been sitting. Never a good thing.

3/ "This just happened to be a good opportunity" It isn't. believe me.

• arther

Don't buy it there will be a million things worn out and it will cause trouble with the girl friends father when you find crap things that have worn out or fixed dodgie and you tell him this was rubbish or that was wrong

Do not buy a car from your girl friend's father.

It just muddies the water.

Never, ever, do any business with family or friends. Nothing good can come from this but allot of bad feeling can.

I would look at smaller newer used car for that kind of cash

pickups hold too much value and yet cost too much to drive

even if the price was $1000.00 you will pay more for fuel

Even if buy this old car for $3K-$4K, it'll cost you much more than that to keep it running and in good driving condition. It's an OLD vehicle, so don't expect it to be without problems.

• Never

Because its so old it could be costly. But, depends on its condition now, the price you pay and how much a repair here and there would bother you.

Not to mention gas.

Usually suggest something newer and smaller.

Stay away

It all depends on the price which you neglected to include.

I don t advise buying cars from friends. It s the quickest way I know to turn a friend into an enemy.

Source(s): Been repairing and restoring cars for over 50 years.
    • arther

Never they think they are telling the trueth even thou they have no idea. How many 30 year cars have you seen with more than 30 things rooted?