Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 months ago

Got into car accident - pressed gas instead of brake. Advice?

So I’m 19 but a brand new driver. I have my permit, but I’ve been procrastinating getting behind the wheel (due to fear). Today I was driving with my dad and my anxiety was so extreme. I accidentally pressed the gas pedal instead of the break, causing me to crash head on into a metal pole. Thankfully we’re not injured but the car is in bad shape (but fixable, thankfully). I’m just so shook up. I feel like I can never drive again. I feel so guilty for the financial impacts of this.

I have a few questions:

1) does anyone have any tips to help me beat these feelings of guilt? I know that accidents happen, but I can’t shake it

2) is a drivers ed course the best way to go? I think going out with a professional may be the only way to conquer this feeling. Thanks in advance.

Your fault plead guilty.

• May

Get your anxiety under control before you try driving again.

Then:

Learn the difference between the word "impact" and affect/effect.

There may be a financial "effect"

Smashing into a pole is an "impact"

It is "brake" not break.

Where were you taught to begin a question with the word "So"?

Grammar matters

• Matthew7 months agoReport

The question started with “Got” and the details began with “So”

• TedEx

If our anxiety is so bad you don't know what you are doing, perhaps you should forget about driving

• FlagMichael

It may be harsh but I have to agree - not everybody is cut out to drive, and too many of those who are not are too proud to admit it. Lives are at stake.

Hell yes you want professional driver training, and don't go with the cheapest in town.

Also, stop pressing the gas instead of the brake. Also it's spelled brake, not break.

Your father isn't too smart !

With this being the first times behind the wheel, you should not have been driving in an area where there's anything to run into. You should have been in a large empty parking lot or other wide open area until you get basics under control. Take it in small steps. Master one step and move on the next one. Don't try to be an expert in one or two days.

some people just arnt meant to drive

Accidents happen. They seem worse when you're young and inexperienced. Once the car is fixed, drive again at off-hours, or in low traffic areas - until you get comfortable with it. Good luck!

• Mark

Ouch! You will be at fault, If the pole is intact, though, you will be fine. As far as anxiety goes, have a parent take you out in which you are a passenger and give impressions.

Yes, get a professional.