What should be done in this situation?? Or what can we expect?

My 90 yr old grandma got into an accident. The guy in front of her slammed on his breaks and she hit hers and turned her wheel to avoid him and from what i was told glanced off the side of his bumper and she hit a concrete barrier. So i guess the guy came over got her insurance info and left did not give his. A witness afterwards called the police and they got my grandma to the hospital. Her car was totaled and she ended up having broken ribs. A few days later the guy filed a claim but the description of the car doesnt match the one my grandma remembers. Im not calling her a liar but its possible she doesnt remember entirely. I know how disorienting accidents are. So my question is can the other guy get in trouble for leaving even though no damage or barely any damage was done to his car?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Tell your grandmother to file a claim with her own insurance company. It doesn't matter who was at fault. The other guy has filed a claim with his insurance company. Her insurance company and his insurance company will fight it out with each other.

• 6 months ago

As long as he stopped he cannot be charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

She hit him in the rear, she is at fault. The state would of had her take a driving test to see if she still should be on the road as a driver. Being the police were not called that will not happen. Hope she is all right!

• 6 months ago

By not leaving his own name, address and insurance details this guy broke the law.

Make sure this point is raised. It will weaken his case hugely.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Seems to me that there is a bigger problem here than worrying whether the other guy can "get into trouble". Since the police were called there will be a police report. Grandma's insurance company will handle this. That is what insurance is for. Be sure to tell her insurance company of the suspicions about the car the other guy was driving. They can investigate by looking at the car the guy claimed he was driving.

How do you already know that Grandma's car has already been "totaled" by the involved insurance companies?

• car253
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The accident IS her fault for following at an unsafe speed or following to closely. The other guy should have left his insurance information with her. But as long as he put in a claim that doesn't matter anymore. The other guy is probly going to claim damage to his car and possibly injury to him too. You need to put in a claim with your grandma's insurance company if she didn't already.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If she told him he could/should go, well, that's her choice. Maybe that's in the same category as not remembering details or the other car.

In theory people should remain until the Police get there.

• 6 months ago

If the police are involved there should be a police report.

Your Grandma will probably be held at fault, so she needs to call her insurance company.

If that is too confusing for her it's time she hung up her keys.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Take away the car keys and sell her car.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.